Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Double technique day! Cracked glass + Faux leather!

Valentines just waiting to be sent...in the mean time my father in law is retiring next week. I have to make him a very manly card per my husband's instructions - that means no ribbon, and simple in color & decoration... but a great time to try out two very cool techniques from Splitcoast stampers resources- cracked glass and faux leather! Here is my "oversized watch" card:


The watch was created using the clock stamp from Sense of Time & handmade faux leather paper for the band. Naturals white paper was sponged to give the clock a distressed appearance before I stamped the image in Stazon brown ink. I cut the image out using a nestabilities circle die (and also cut one size up for the chocolate chip circle layer, which was also sponged on edges). I followed the cracked glass instructions for my "watch face." I created the faux leather band using a Cuttlebug embossing folder ("mosaic") on chocolate chip cardstock, that was also sponged with some ink for slight variation in color. It was then covered completely with Versamark, then clear embossed before it was assembled on the card on a layer of creamy caramel cardstock, sponged with close to cocoa classic ink.

The Sense of Time stamp set seems great to me for a retirement card. The sentiment inside "An unhurried sense of time is in itself a form of wealth..." just seems so right for retirement or whenever you may be thinking of your shrinking retirement savings! Ah to only have more time to craft...!

I loved making the faux leather paper so I went ahead & made a bunch of leather swatches for future use and think I'll make a giant watch, with a complete band, to hang as a decoration in my craft room!


Check out the techniques I used at the sites below: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/fauxleatherwallet/
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/cracked_glass/

1 comment:

  1. what a great masculine card! I think you've nailed your husbands request perfectly and know your father in law will love this card!

    ReplyDelete

Love my craft buddy!

Love my craft buddy!
Dog's view of the Craft-a-torium!