Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Recycled Aluminum Can Card

Crafters are the best recyclers!  Maybe you are already using scraps of paper from your scrapbook/craft room trash, used dryer sheets, old newspaper, the excess clear plastic off a new diecut machine or accessory you bought, you name it - with tons of unique techniques & styles, I think crafters are some of the best recyclers! Who says you have go "paperless" to be environmentally conscience, eh?


RECYCLED products used for this card: aluminum can material punched with flower punch & aluminum can tab used as ribbon clip!

Used here:

Stampin' Up! Stamp set: So Green (p. 146 IBC, #118728 wood, or #120588 clear mount)

SU Cardstock: Crumb Cake, Certainly Celery, Baja Breeze, Whisper White

SU Ink: Certainly Celery, Baja Breeze

SU Accessories: Square Lattice embossing folder, large & extra large circle punches, 5-petal flower punch, boho blossoms punch, square punch (I used just the corner of the square punch to create uniform ‘banner’ appearance on sentiment), hole punch, whisper white grosgrain ribbon & white brads.

(close up of can tab embellishment)
Tips on using aluminum cans… cut off the top & bottom of empty, clean aluminum can VERY carefully with a utility knife on a safe cutting surface. Uncurl/flatten remaining aluminum can for ease of use. I found it easy to use my punches with the aluminum can material and my punches seem no worse for wear (I used 8oz. mini cans of Coke, Sprite or Diet Dr Pepper). HOWEVER, it is possible the strength of other aluminum cans may differ so you may want to experiment or you may rather want to use the Bigshot for making aluminum can embellishments (in the IBC, SU suggests using Big Shot with the cans).
I think that the can tabs make great clip-like embellishments for this particular stamp set.
Hope you think so, too. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool card! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!Very unique.
    Newest follower from SC, and I'll be back.
    Hope you follow me too.
    diane oliver - Rubber 'n Rafters
    http://dianeoliver.blogspot.com
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your card...I've tried cutting tag shapes with my BigShot but can't seem to figure out how to get them to go FLAT. Do you have a trick that you used to flatten your flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... Not sure that my flowers were very flat either, but since soda can aluminum is pretty plyable, I think you could try to work the material after you've cut it by bending it to make it as flat as possible. You may also try just running the cut item through your machine a few times to see if you can force it flat. Adhering the item with some strong adhesive or glue dots may also help keep the item flat on a project... give it a try & so glad you liked the card!

      Delete

Love my craft buddy!

Love my craft buddy!
Dog's view of the Craft-a-torium!