Sunday, December 12, 2010

Another Crafty Gift Idea: Decoupage Frame


Okay, I'm hooked on decoupage now... An unfinished wood frame from your local craft store is an economical & fun base for a personalized gift you can make with any patterned paper on hand.  For the frame above, I used some Karen Foster Old World Map scrapbook paper that served as a perfect background for the added international stamps I've collected over the years.  I made frames like the one above for my friends who I met when I worked with international students at our local university (that's where I got most of the stamps over the years, from our office mail!). 


I popped up a few of the stamps with dimensionals to give the frame some additional interest.


Only thing I stamped on this was the Friends embellishment (from SU! Vintage Vogue stamp set).  I covered the entire circle with Versamark then embossed it with clear embossing powder using my heat gun to add some sheen and texture.  Note, decoupage medium makes water based dye ink bleed if it is not protected by something like the heat embossing I used.  Instead of adhering the embellishment directly on the frame, I chose to attach it by some twine which I felt gave it a similar look to a unique package to coordinate with my international mail & postage theme. 

You cannot tell from the photos, but I cut a clear window sheet (any thick, clear, clean plastic would work) to fit the photo opening to make my own photo protector.  The unfinished frame does not come with any type of acrylic or glass for a photo, so this may be optional, but I liked the addition to use for a photo frame and was happy to have some on hand.

Hope you, like me, are having fun with your own handmade holiday this year, too!

1 comment:

Love my craft buddy!

Love my craft buddy!
Dog's view of the Craft-a-torium!