Saturday, December 4, 2010

Hanging around, waiting for Christmas?

Here are some hanging decoration gift ideas for you! 
I've been working like one of Santa's elves trying to get some handmade gifts completed and I think I may be half way there.  The first hanging shown is one for my friend living in Sweden.  God Jul is their traditional Christmas greeting.  An added plus with this phrase is it's easy to make 6 letters into a hanging decoration! 



I punched some dsp with an extra large circle punch then layered those on circles of cherry cobbler cardstock.  The red circles were adhered to alternating chocolate chip and always artichoke cardstock that was adhered to some thin chipboard and die cut with a Sizzix scallop circle die.  I covered all the circles with a decoupage finish that I hope will help the hanging decoration stay in good shape over time.

The letters were die cut in cherry cobbler cardstock using the Serif Essentials Sizzix dies.  Each letter had the edges lightly sponged in brown ink then I applied a thin layer of Crystal Effects to give the letters a glossy look.  The middle circle I decorated with some hand cut holly leaves from the package of Deck the Halls designer series paper. 

Antique brads also accent the first, middle and last circles. 


I punched holes in my covered chipboard circles with my Crop-a-dile then thread a long strand of felt ribbon (retired SU! Alpine ribbon) thru the holes to attach the circles.  I added an extra loop on top and added another accent of ribbon on the last circle. 

The close up pics of my holly center did not turn out, but here are some more images of the words (after seeing these close ups, I also realize it's time to re-paint our front door!):




For another idea, as a Pre-Christmas present, I made the magnetic hanging decoration shown below for my sister.  It's not just for Christmas, as everything on the board (except for the Chalkboard vinyl) is attached by magnets!



If your house was like my house, then I'm guessing you are familiar with the phrase, "If Mom's not happy, nobody's happy!"? I thought as a motivator for good behavior for my niece and nephew, my sis may have fun using this board to express her feelings.

The board is a piece of galvanized metal flashing (so popular with us crafters) that has been covered with some DSP.  I adhered a bit of chalkboard vinyl to it so she can use it as a list board if she wants to.
She can replace the "naughty" & "nice" magnets with something else after the holidays, of course.  And the kids' pics are on magnets, too, so they can be moved to either category (if needed!).


She can even move the cardstock dial to suit her mood
(or remove the dial when she tires of it- yes, it's on a magnet too). 
Of course, I'm sure that my niece & nephew are just angels all the time, so I went ahead & pre-set the dial at the happiest setting. 
Happy Birthday, sis!



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the God Jul hanging decoration. It is sooooo pretty and well-made. Tusen tack! (A thousand thanks!)

    ReplyDelete

Love my craft buddy!

Love my craft buddy!
Dog's view of the Craft-a-torium!