Thursday, February 9, 2012

Take it to Heart...with Sympathy


While I was in the midst of Valentine creations yesterday, I received a request for a sympathy card.  These cards are difficult to make at times, but since I remember the love and kindness I felt when I was the recipient of such cards, I feel honored to make these cards to share with other people experiencing that same sense of loss.  You can see my Valentine-inspired mode with this card, and of course I'm using the Framelit Hearts dies whenever I can (my favorite tools right now).  This image from the Take it to Heart stamp set is soothing & pretty, so it seemed a perfect fit for the occasion.  It took a couple tries to color in the bird with my watercolor pencils to look like a house finch (as that was the bird coloring I was hoping for), but I think it works.

I also got some instant sketch inspiration from this week's Stampin' Queen Sketch Challenge, SQSC25.
Here's a view of the sketch this week:


The sketch was fairly simple, which I really appreciate.  I used two different kinds of ribbon, some crochet ribbon & seam binding  for the duo strips shown, and for the "bow", instead of a large bow treatment, I thought the simple twine which holds my tags with the front sentiment added just the right touch.  The DSP from Everyday Enchantment, a little distressing, and a layer embossed with the Vintage embossing folder were used for the rest of my layers.  The tiny tags were stamped using the individual words from the Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set.

To further tie in my heart shape image with the sympathy card, I used this lovely sentiment from the Love and Sympathy stamp set for the interior of my card:

Take it to Heart... a sympathy card can really go along way.
Take care everyone... on to brighter days ahead.

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I agree that the twine and tags are a nicer touch than a larger bow. The card has such a comforting, vintage feel and I'm sure the recipient will appreciate the message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, This is absolutely beautiful I must say. I just love it totally. TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Love my craft buddy!

Love my craft buddy!
Dog's view of the Craft-a-torium!