Thursday, February 21, 2013

Merry Monday #50


This week the Merry Monday challenge is to create an elegant Christmas card.
For me, elegant does not come naturally...I'm much too casual to pull off elegance very easily. At least today I had some extra time to contemplate a design and looking outside my window at the snowy landscape, I decided to create a snowy evergreen card.

I stamped my tree from Stampin' Up!'s set, Lovely as a Tree, in Early Espresso ink on vellum.  Flipped over the vellum, and dabbed on some snow accents with a white gel pen.  I layered the vellum on an oval window frame cut from Early Espresso cardstock and popped up the image on a background of Naturals Ivory cardstock, lightly sponged with a bit of River Rock ink to tone down the white.  


Some ornate snowflake DSP in brown & cream, a simple strip of Very Vanilla seam binding and a simple layered snowflake embellishment finished it off.  Two Christmas cards down now!  Yippee!! Thank you Merry Monday Challenge for getting me started early this year.

Edited for update after the challenge week: 
I'm so excited to be a Top Pick for this Challenge!

13 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! Love the snowy branches and the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Katerine, this is gorgeous! I love this tree on the vellum! It gives it such a dreamy quality. Thanks for sharing it with us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely elegant card, I like how you stamped on the vellum and added the snow on the branches. Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally pulled it off! Very elegant! I just LOVE it. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Katherine, this is a beauty with the vellum and the frame you have created around the tree! Thank you for joining us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly beautiful Katherine! I love the effect of your stamping onto vellum and the snow you've added with your gel pen - great touch! Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the technique you used!!! I have horrible luck stamping on vellum and I soo love the look!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely gorgeous, Katherine! Love the snow accents on your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, I love the stamped vellum. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card, Katherine. Love the simplicity of your design that lets the tree be the focus. Thanks for playing at Merry Monday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely card and you certainly used one of my favorite stamps in a very creative way. Using the vellum with the oval cutout is perfect. Putting it in my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely and elegant, Katherine! Just a beautiful card - the black looks great with the silver.

    ReplyDelete

Love my craft buddy!

Love my craft buddy!
Dog's view of the Craft-a-torium!