Monday, March 4, 2013

Merry Monday #52 & Paper Players #135


This week's Merry Monday Christmas Card Challenge is a Color Challenge.
You don't know how happy I am to see that the colors this week are traditional Christmas colors. 
Here is my Cherry Artichoke River Rockin' card for this week:


 Very excited to be a guest designer this week, but I was a bit nervous about that designation, especially when I first saw the words "Color Challenge."  Many of you use non-traditional colors very well, but I may as well be crafting in the dark when I try to pull off something out of the ordinary for Christmas.  So... Hooray! (and thank you, Lesley!) for the traditional red & green! 

You can barely see my mini dove stamped in River Rock ink on my main photo, so I took a close up.  That tiny bird is from the retired SU! Elementary Elegance stamp set.  I added some Victoria Crochet lace and a little Vintage trinket safety pin to attach the little bird tag to the card.


All supplies used today were from Stampin' Up!

Here are some of the other basics for what I used for my card...

Paper basics:  Always Artichoke & Cherry Cobbler striped DSP, River Rock, Always Artichoke and Very Vanilla cardstock.  
Stamps and ink:  The sentiment from the set, Merry & Type, was stamped in Artichoke classic ink on Very Vanilla cardstock.  I punched out the sentiment with the large oval punch then sponged it a bit with River Rock ink to add just a little aging to the otherwise crisp Vanilla. 
More tools:  Some Artichoke cardstock was embossed with the oval from the Adorning Accents folder and cut out and popped up on dimensionals. The olive branches (that's what I'm calling them on my Peace card!) are from the Bird Punch.  

One of the bonuses about using the cross cut DSP for my card was that there are pieces left for another card.  Using the same stamp set, but different sentiment, I created this alternate Artichoke, Cherry & River Rock card.  I even tried my hand at more hand stitching.  LeAnne has a great theme challenge at the Paper Players, so I'm adding this card to their fun stitching challenge.  My hand stitching is not perfect, but I love the added texture.  Of course, looking at it here, it makes me think "Frankenstein meets Paper Crafts"...!!!  EEK!  


Check out the more polished cards at the Paper Players Challenge #135 for more stitching inspiration.


Happy stamping everyone!  Enjoy the challenges this week.



12 comments:

  1. I love this card. The DSP is also a favorite of mine and your diagonal placement is a perfect background for the beautiful sentiment in its embossed frame. Both cards are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty cards this week Katherine, I am so happy you enjoyed the traditional colours and I love that you used that stamp set for the center of your cards, it looks amazing and modern. Very clean and classy! Thanks for being our GD this week.
    Hugs,
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty cards Kathrine, I really like the papers you used and the lace is lovely. Congrats on being guest designer this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both just lovely! I love it that you made the second one, too....which you could enter in my Stitching challenge at the Paper Players, BTW! That little dove is a perfect addition to your first card, and the embossed sentiment really makes your card stand out! So glad to have you with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your win, Katherine! You've done a fantastic job with this design too! Love the papers, ovals and lace! And the little dove is a sweet addition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so glad you entered your stitched creation! I give you a lot of credit for stitching by hand...and the stitching does NOT look like Frankenstein!!!! Thanks for playing with my stitchy challenge this week at the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on being our Guest Designer this week, Katherine! Your cards are fabulous and I love how you used these colors! Love how you did the dry embossing around your sentiment and the cute little dove!
    Have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should get extra credit for stitching by hand! You've made two beautiful cards. Thanks for joining us at the Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both of your cards! The stitching looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on being a Merry Monday Guest Designer. Great job on both cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are gorgeous! Love the addition of the stitching on your second card and I love the addition of your dove on your first card! Congrats on being our Guest Designer this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like both of your cards! You hand stitching is pretty impressive! Thank you very much for joining us at the Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete

Love my craft buddy!

Love my craft buddy!
Dog's view of the Craft-a-torium!