Saturday, September 28, 2013

Now that's Crafty! - Make It Monday #133

When I saw the technique featured at Papertrey Ink's Make it Monday this week, using dimensional paste, I just had to try it.  I had a craft store's coupon burning a hole in my pocket anyway, and this fiber paste is not on the dreaded discount exclusion list- hooray!  Here's my favorite of the cards I created trying this out...

I enjoyed going very clean & simple with a one layer card with the fiber paste border, a little ribbon and  stamped message from Papertrey Ink Heart Prints Sentiments.

I chose to color the paste with some drops of ink to match some kraft cardstock.  After I first tried the tone on tone look, I used the paste again on white and really like how it stands out on my heart border card.  I don't own any type of suitable stencil or cover plate so I created my own stencils using some punches and dies.  Here is a view of the heart border stencil I made from a couple small heart punches (I took the photo after using the stencil).


Here's a view of the supplies I used, very similar to what Danielle shows in the video.  To make clean up easy, I used some aluminum foil over some old cardboard (I had just finished re-heating some food with the foil, so it got cleaned up a bit & used again before it had to be re-cycled; I'm sure my husband thinks I'm really crazy when I do that, but it seems like truly recycling to me!). 

I think a key part of getting this done right has to be in securing your stencil to your paper with the washi tape.  That really helped keep things straight, secure, and pasted evening (especially on my heart border).
You can see the snowflake die and dots stencil I created to try the tone on tone version.  I'm not yet happy with the card I started using this one, but will keep playing with it until I like it.


If you have time, give this a try!  Happy crafting!


3 comments:

  1. I love the look of the kraft hearts on the rustic paper - so pretty! And flocked snowflakes ... what could be more perfect?!? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, how you made your own stencil! I watched this tutorial and thought I couldn't do it without a PTI cover plate, but of course I could! Thanks for inspiring me to be a little more ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I love your handmade stencil!! Such a great idea! I have seen so many mixed media projects with the dimensional paste, but haven't been brave enough to buy some and try it... I love the idea of tinting it before using it.

    ReplyDelete

Love my craft buddy!

Love my craft buddy!
Dog's view of the Craft-a-torium!